newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
10-07-2015, 02:41 AM
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Oct-01-2015] Firmware for testing available for download
(10-07-2015 12:21 AM)Helix Wrote:  This time I've had difficulties in flashing the calculator with the last rom. I've tried two times, and the screen remained blank, with only the flashing transfer indicator. I've tried resetting with a paperclip, removing a battery, but nothing happened. The On-A-C procedure was available, but again, the right shift – left shift – clear mem (or reset) did not work, the screen was still blank, with the flashing indicator.

So I decided to return to the previous rom, and when I put again the battery for flashing the calculator, I saw a screen saying that the memory will be wiped, with a "cont" button, as it occurred often (but not always) with the previous rom. Now the calculator runs correctly with the new rom.
It seems that removing a battery produces some random behaviors…
I never had anything like that happen, but it seems that your memory got corrupted. If the calculator offered to wipe the memory, is because the firmware failed to detect the necessary variables in memory to start the core. Perhaps some discharge when pulling the battery crashed the CPU and corrupted your RAM, or perhaps your backup battery is weak and couldn't sustain the data.

(10-07-2015 12:21 AM)Helix Wrote:  About trig functions, I wonder if we are not doing some hair-spitting here. I am very satisfied with the current RPL. It's easy to insert DEG or RAD at the beginning of a program, and after some thought, I believe that in algebraic expressions I won't be very pleased with things like 'ASIND(COSD(A)+SIND(B))' instead of 'ASIN(COS(A)+SIN(B))'.
Perhaps, maybe I'll put the issue to sleep and keep the status quo. I'll probably implement the functions using the flags as it used to be.

(10-07-2015 12:21 AM)Helix Wrote:  Is there a difference between 1. and 1? I think that 1. ENTER should give 1 on the stack.
Yes, 1. is an approximated number, 1 is exact. Big difference in symbolics: exact numbers want to stay exact, while approx. numbers don't care.
'1/2' EVAL --> '1/2'
'1./2' EVAL --> 0.5.

(10-07-2015 12:21 AM)Helix Wrote:  -1 ENTER √x doesn't work (maybe it depends on flags).
None of the transcendental functions return complex results yet, or accept complex arguments. Complex mode is quite incomplete right now. Just compiling the objects and the 4 basic operators, nothing else.
Yes, it will depend on flags, but the flag in question is not yet implemented also.
This is also open for the same discussion as the trig functions, do we want these functions to return different values based on flags? While I came up with SIND, etc. for trig, I couldn't come up with something coherent for XROOT for example. XROOT(-8,3) could return an error (when not in complex mode), or the real root, or the principal root, but how to organize it without using system-level flags?

(10-07-2015 12:21 AM)Helix Wrote:  In algebraic or program mode, the +/- key adds – or NEG after a number, instead of changing its sign.

That's laziness on my part. No excuse, I'll implement that properly.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Oct-01-2015] Firmware for testing available for download - Claudio L. - 10-07-2015 02:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)