newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
10-04-2015, 09:57 PM
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Oct-01-2015] Firmware for testing available for download
(10-01-2015 11:04 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  *Temperatures work as described in a recent thread.

I've played a bit with the temperature units, and I think it's a nice improvement.
For example sometimes I read English texts in which the author says for example that at the beginning the ambient temperature was 68°F, then after a drop of 12°F he observed [A], after another drop of 9°F he observed [B], and so on. All these conversions in °C are boring to do…
With newRPL there is only one conversion to do: 70_°F gives 20_°C
Then it's straightforward:
12_Δ°F - gives 13.33_°C
9_Δ°F - gives 8.33_°C, and so on.
I like that feature a lot!

(10-03-2015 06:15 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  I consider a bad thing if the result of a command depends on flags. I believe (as much as possible) that output of a command should depend exclusively in the input provided, not on system-wide flags.
For trig functions, I've been thinking there should be sets of functions for each unit, for instance: SIN, DSIN, and GSIN would be the same function SIN, but accepting radians, degrees and grads. You'd still have DEG/GRAD/RAD mode in the calc, but it's only for the UI, which will use DSIN instead of SIN when you are in DEG mode. A compiled program with SIN should run the same regardless of the system mode you are in.
This would eliminate the annoying "The calculator needs to switch to radians mode, OK?", as the CAS would know which unit you intend to use.

I don't know yet if this is a good idea. Existing programs for the HP50g with trigonometric functions inside will have to be entirely edited to be used with newRPL. Also, I'm afraid that function names like SIN COS TAN are so natural that it will be very easy to make errors in writing or editing programs…
However, if you implement this feature, I think I would prefer command names like SIND, SING, instead of DSIN, GSIN…

Jean-Charles
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: [UPDATED Oct-01-2015] Firmware for testing available for download - Helix - 10-04-2015 09:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)