newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
09-13-2015, 10:52 PM
RE: newRPL: Firmware for testing available for download
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.

New RPL firmware installation went smoothly. I got the expected message at the end : WAIT, RESET, ENTER. However, after removing the battery as explained below, I was left with a blank screen and a dead HP50G.

So I tried again, this time pressing "ENTER" instead of removing the battery, same result. In fact I tried a lot of things:

- Removing all batteries, including the button cell
- Waiting a lot of time after removing the batteries before reinstalling them
- Pressing the reset button instead of removing a battery
- RE-installing the 2.15 HP firmware before trying the newRPL installation again
- Changing the SD card
- Tried every keys, played with the contrast
- All of the above on my HP-49G+ instead of HP-50G

In all situations on both calculators I get a blank screen. Every time I re-install the HP firmware the calculators work as before.

Don't know what else to try.

François

(09-11-2015 05:43 PM)Han Wrote:  As already mentioned in previous posts:

1. Download the firmware (presumably saved to a file named newrplfw.bin) and place it on an SD card.
2. Copy the file over to the SD card.
3. Create a text file on the SD card named update.scp and whose content is simply the file name of the firmwre: newrplfw.bin; save this file onto the SD card.
4. Turn the calculator OFF and insert the SD card containing the files newrplfw.bin and update.scp
5. While simultaneously press and hold both the [+] and [-] keys, insert a paperclip into the reset hole in the back of the calculator; press and release the paperclip. After about 2 seconds release the [+] and [-] keys to see the update screen.
6. On the calculator, select the update option, and select the option to update from the card.
7. When the update is done, you will see WAIT RESET (among other messages). At this point, remove a battery from the calculator (you can optionally remove all the batteries if you wish, but I think a single battery is enough). Then re-insert the battery(s). EDIT: If you are using an HP50G powered by the USB cable, then unplug and then re-plug the cable.
8. A menu should appear with the option to continue (F1 key).
9. If your screen appears garbled after pressing F1, simply turn if OFF (it won't actually turn off, and in fact you cannot turn the calculator off, but it will fix any garbled screen).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: Firmware for testing available for download - Francois Lanciault - 09-13-2015 10:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)