newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
09-09-2015, 11:22 PM
RE: newRPL: Firmware for testing available for download
(09-09-2015 02:39 AM)Han Wrote:  I like the font, except that 'w' and 'm' are one pixel wider than the rest.

I've made another font with more compact characters. When the tool to make one's own font will be available, it will be possible to try other variants, and of course to make changes if some letters look ugly.
There is also a more compact 6 pixel font that was intended for the menus, but Claudio chose another font for this demo version.

(09-09-2015 01:22 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  The fonts are variable width for a reason. Those letters look better when wider. Almost every font has wider m and w. Same as i l and t being narrower. Numbers are all the same width so digits can align well in columns.
All fonts were artfully crafted by our friend Helix, and I want to take this opportunity to say they look great, and to give him due credit for an excellent job.

Thanks ! Smile
In fact, the digits are not always perfectly aligned, because the dot character has not the same width as the figures. Maybe this should be modified later. At least in "fix" mode, all the digits will be aligned, which is the most important for me.

(09-09-2015 08:49 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 02:24 PM)Han Wrote:  EDIT: For the "grey" menus, I propose a light grey rectangular border in place of full grey background for the soft keys. Then you won't have to deal with contrast, since it should show up as extremely sharp.
Yes the background should be white, gray edges sounds good.

I think too that black and white menus are preferable.
For the same reason, I think that the alpha and shift indicators should be dark too. We don't need to check these indicators to know that we are doing a long press…

Now my first comments on the alpha mode:
At the beginning, I was unable to use efficiently the calculator, because I can't remember if the last mode was capital letters or lower case letters. This behavior is totally counterintuitive for me. But I figured out that I could press simultaneously the alpha key and another key to enter lower case letters, so my default mode remains the capital letters. Although I would prefer the capital letter as a default mode, I can live with this configuration. The only thing I have to remember now is to double tap the alpha key to leave the alpha mode.

I have no problem with the cursors, but the modification we discussed privately could be interesting in my opinion, because in this case the letter inside the cursor would be slightly smaller than the current font, avoiding some confusion between the edited text and the cursor.

Jean-Charles
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: Firmware for testing available for download - Helix - 09-09-2015 11:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)