newRPL: [UPDATED April 27-2017] Firmware for testing available for download
09-04-2015, 09:50 PM
RE: newRPL: Firmware for testing available for download
(09-04-2015 09:05 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  Ok,

I've done it. After the first flashing process (shown to be successful), the 50G wouldn't start. So I re-flashed the original firmware, just to make sure, I had the procedures right. The second flashing was successful though. Don't know what happened the first time.

Now it's up and running. Time to play around.

First observation. The "transfer arrow" in the upper right hand corner is flashing all the time. Perhaps something to do with the nasty "OFF" bug.

It's a "heartbeat", done on purpose during early development to know if the machine crashed. As long as it blinks, I know it's still alive. Lately it hardly ever crashes so it's not so useful anymore. It will be removed eventually. Same thing with the keys that are not yet defined, it shows a key-code on the status area, that's normal for now.

(09-04-2015 09:05 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  Numbers with decimals are terminated by another dot.

Not a bug at all. newRPL adds a trailing dot to approximated numbers. It's explained in the docs, and there's also a thread about it earlier this year.
Basically, if you type a number without a trailing dot, it's assumed to be exact. If you add a trailing dot, it's assumed to be approximated.
For instance, if you type '3/4', then EVAL will remain as a fraction because both numbers are exact. If you type '3./4' then EVAL, it will compute the division and show 0.75., since it already knows the number is approximated. This gives you control of what gets simplified in an expression, just by adding a dot.
If you do the division 3 4 / will return 0.75 (also exact, no trailing dot). But if you do 1 3 / you'll get the trailing dot, since the machine could not compute the result exactly.
Eventually, when exact mode is implemented, this will make more sense.

(09-04-2015 09:05 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  
Quote:* The VARs menu is fully functional. It can be hidden/shown by long-pressing VAR.
I can see the Vars when the vars aren't hidden, but how to access them other then typing their names?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The 6 keys (APPS, MODE, TOOL, VAR, STO and NXT) act like F1 to F6 but for the lower menu. So you always have access to your vars, no matter which menu you are in (the top menu will change, but your vars will always remain in the lower menu).
Just use those keys to access your vars, they work normally (unshifted to EVAL, shifted to RCL or STO, if you are in the command line they add the name, etc). Even if you make the menu invisible, those 6 keys still give you your variables.

(09-04-2015 09:05 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  The OFF-function works flawlessly Smile

There will be at least one NR50G at the HHC. *

Günter

* I selected NR50G to express it is NewRpl50G, I hope you like it.

I do like it. Keep playing with it and report any findings.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: Firmware for testing available for download - Claudio L. - 09-04-2015 09:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)