AS small alphanumeric signs
09-03-2015, 03:46 PM
RE: AS small alphanumeric signs
(09-03-2015 02:52 PM)tigger Wrote:  Would you mind making a "schematic" or a Picture.

There's one in the File Manager that's built into your 50g: just press the FILES key (that's left-shift APPS), and look below Home. You'll see a nice graphic that shows your entire directory tree structure, with the current directory highlighted. I highly suggest creating several directories, with subdirectories in some of them, and looking at the result in the filer. (Note: Pressing the FILES key executes a programmable command called FILER, so people often refer to the File Manager as "the filer".) While in the filer, pressing the CHDIR menu key changes the current path to the highlighted directory, and pressing the right and left cursor keys let you navigate into and out of directories. Pressing MODE while in a directory displays the current path in the status area.

Also, have you noticed that the current PATH is also displayed in the status area above the stack? For example, if you are currently in the B subdirectory of the A directory which is in Home, then you'll see {HOME A B} near the upper left corner of your display. That's a sort of pictorial representation of where you are in your current directory structure. Very helpful.

(09-03-2015 02:52 PM)tigger Wrote:  Imagine I have stairs. The top stair is A, the next below is B and the bettom is C. Every stair should equal to a subdirectory. On every step you can find a variable. Imagine I am on the stair A and I look down.

On step A there is x.
On step B there is y.
On step Cthere is z.
Which variables do I see.

Imagine I am on the stair B (or in the subdirectory B) which variables do I see if I looked down (in the subdirectoy C) which variables do I see if I looked up.

Imagine I am on the stair C (or in the subdirectory C) which variables do I see if I lookel up (to the subdirectory B and then to the subdirectory C).

You might have a better example besides stairs?

You don't say whether A, B and C are all in Home, or whether C is in B, B is in A, and only A is in Home. The latter would be more like "stairs", so I'll assume that's what you meant. (If they were all in Home, then they would be on the same level, which is not like stairs at all). So we have this structure:

Home contains one object, a directory called A.
A contains two objects: x (any type of object) and B (a directory).
B contains two objects: y (any type of object) and C (a directory).
C contains one object: z (any type of object).

If the current PATH is {HOME A B}, then pressing VAR would show y and C. From that path, you can recall A, x, B, y, and C, but not z. You can only store directly into y. (You can store into any variable in any path if you specify the path when storing). You cannot store into C because RPL doesn't let you overwrite a directory without PGDIR'ing it first.

You ask what happens when you look up or look down from each stair. RCL only looks upwards in your current path (towards HOME); RCL never looks the other direction.

<0|ΙΈ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
AS small alphanumeric signs - tigger - 08-30-2015, 12:19 PM
RE: AS small alphanumeric signs - Joe Horn - 08-31-2015, 03:35 AM
RE: AS small alphanumeric signs - tigger - 08-31-2015, 08:30 AM
RE: AS small alphanumeric signs - tigger - 09-01-2015, 09:26 AM
RE: AS small alphanumeric signs - tigger - 09-03-2015, 08:27 AM
RE: AS small alphanumeric signs - tigger - 09-03-2015, 02:52 PM
RE: AS small alphanumeric signs - Joe Horn - 09-03-2015 03:46 PM
RE: AS small alphanumeric signs - tigger - 09-04-2015, 08:54 AM
RE: AS small alphanumeric signs - tigger - 09-05-2015, 02:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)