checkdigit calculation for HP-17b
07-27-2015, 01:03 AM
RE: checkdigit calculation for HP-17b
(07-26-2015 11:42 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  Now, the challenge: try to derive my 9-digit SS number from the fact that its checkdigit is 5. If you could do that, the bad boys will pay you millions I'm sure.

Hi Don,

Researchers have long figured out how to "guess" your SS number by using public data. SS numbers are not really random - or at least parts of it aren't.

Do a search for plenty of articles on predicting SS numbers. There's been plenty of news stories about this.

When I lived in Indiana, they used to use your SS number for the drivers license number. To get around the law that says you can't use SS numbers for other purposes, they just appended the Letter 'S' to it - that would magically make it NOT a SS number. I don't think they do that anymore.

A couple of years ago, I went to my local college to use their library. They said I could get a courtesy library card (even though I wasn't a student) since I lived in their county. But to get the card, I would have to give them my SS number - and you would never believe the reason given. The SS number was being required by the Department of Homeland Security. I passed on getting a library card there.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: checkdigit calculation for HP-17b - Bill (Smithville NJ) - 07-27-2015 01:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)