SSTV Pictures from the International Space Station
07-19-2015, 07:07 PM
RE: SSTV Pictures from the International Space Station
(07-19-2015 10:57 AM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  Congratulations Steve! What equipment/antenna were you using?
Thanks! I used a Yaesu VX-6R HT with a 2M/70cm J-Pole antenna purchased on eBay. Since the power was off, I recorded the audio using a smartphone App and played it back to MMSSTV when the power came back on. About as low-tech as you can getSmile

(07-19-2015 10:57 AM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  I ended up with a lot of partial images - either the start or the end of an image. But I did finally get one complete image with the 4 am pass this morning (a lot of noise on the signal):
Very Nice! Your image did not slew like mine. Yes, I found out it is a bit challenging getting a good image when your contact is 250 miles above you moving at 17, 000 MPH!

(07-19-2015 10:57 AM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  I was using an Yaesu FT-897 transceiver with a Comet GP-3 dual band antenna mounted on a 10 foot pole. It is surrounded by trees and really doesn't have a clear view of the sky.

I just looked you up on QRZ and read your bio. I see you are a Technician. Time to study and upgrade to a General class so you can get on HF and send some SSTV pictures yourself.
Nice setup! (I, know I probably should call it a "rig").
It's funny, my wife and I were just talking about upgrading our licenses. We took the test together so we could use 2M HTs when we were out exploring. We haven't been very active in the hobby lately.

(07-19-2015 10:57 AM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  I was wondering if you have heard of AllStar Link? See following link:
AllStar Link
I have not. I was familiar with Echolink and IRLP, but had not used them before either. Very cool.

Thanks again for all the information.
KI6ZWR
Steve Simpkin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: SSTV Pictures from the International Space Station - Steve Simpkin - 07-19-2015 07:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)