SSTV Pictures from the International Space Station
07-19-2015, 10:57 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2015 11:00 AM by Bill (Smithville NJ).)
RE: SSTV Pictures from the International Space Station
(07-19-2015 09:42 AM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  Success!
Here is the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project Logo I received via Slow Scan TV (SSTV) from the ISS on 2015-7-19 at 01:03am. When I started receiving the broadcast at 12:59am, it was sending the tail end of an image. This was followed by dead air for 1-2 minutes (eating into my very limited 5-6 minute window of reception). Then the image was broadcast again and I managed to capture an entire image (with brief periods of bad reception). This was complicated by the fact that we were near the end of a 7 hour AC power outage at the time, due to storm activity.

Thank you very much Bill for introducing me to listening to the ISS, SSTV and Software Defined Radio (SDR) and SDR web receivers. My head is still spinningSmile

Steve Simpkin
KI6ZWR

Congratulations Steve! What equipment/antenna were you using?

I ended up with a lot of partial images - either the start or the end of an image. But I did finally get one complete image with the 4 am pass this morning (a lot of noise on the signal):

I was using an Yaesu FT-897 transceiver with a Comet GP-3 dual band antenna mounted on a 10 foot pole. It is surrounded by trees and really doesn't have a clear view of the sky.

A friend of mine just sent me a couple of the images he received - beautiful, perfect copy. But he was using a yagi antenna aimed at the ISS.

I just looked you up on QRZ and read your bio. I see you are a Technician. Time to study and upgrade to a General class so you can get on HF and send some SSTV pictures yourself.

I was wondering if you have heard of AllStar Link? See following link:

AllStar Link

Raspberry PI Node

The second link describes the use of the small BeagleBone Black and Raspberry Pi computers instead of a full size computer. There's a group of us that have put nodes on the air that covers the Philadelphia to the South Jersey area. My node at home covers about five miles around my house when using a HT and about ten miles if using a mobile rig.

Glad you are enjoying the SDR Web Receivers. They are a lot of fun to use.

WD9EQD
Bill
Smithville, NJ
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: SSTV Pictures from the International Space Station - Bill (Smithville NJ) - 07-19-2015 10:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)