HP50g spins circles around the TI-89
05-02-2015, 02:12 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2015 05:00 AM by Omar Deen.)
RE: HP50g spins circles around the TI-89
(05-01-2015 11:41 AM)BartDB Wrote:  Having started my HP journey with the HP-28C & S, the 50G was a natural progression for me.

I have worked with Sharps & Casios, but I have never gotten on with TIs (tried several).

I purchased my first 50g in 2006 and in 2009 some lines on the display stopped working. I purchased another one and that has worked fine for 6 years now.

Perhaps it is lasting this long because it has light use. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, computer and internet based mathematical programmes are starting to take over.

My first HP calculator was a HP11c many years ago. I bought the calculator when I started my Machinist Apprenticeship program. I went through the natural progression. HP41, Hp48 series, skipped HP49 then bought a HP50g of which is the best calculator I ever owned.

In my HP48 days I had lots of time to play around with SRPL programming. I grasp it well without having any previous programming background. Although, I understood how to program my calculator in SRPL, I always took the lazy approach by using looking up tables in the Machinery handbook, Machinist APPS with formulas on my Iphone, Excel spreadsheet with machinist formulas, I even used online
calculators.

About four years ago I ran into this web site that motivated me to start writing programs for my HP50g

https://www.calculated.com/productcart/p...UQpcpOPWgQ

It's a calculator for a machinist! I realized, that over the years I have been using my HP50g the wrong way. I was motivated more than ever to write machinist package that would "spin circles around" that specialty calculator.

I've develop Machinist Helper v1.7 of which you can find on hpcalc.org. For all of my shop calculating needs, I now use Machinist Helper.

If someone have a complicated formulas for a specific application, I use Usolve of which you can find here on MoHPC

The big advantage of HP50g have over that specialty calculator is all of my thread spec data fits nicely on the HP50g screen Smile

all in all, The HP50 Spins Circles around any calculator!
Omar
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP50g spins circles around the TI-89 - Omar Deen - 05-02-2015 02:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)