All About Slide Rules Book (PDF)
04-11-2015, 03:45 AM
RE: All About Slide Rules Book (PDF)
(04-10-2015 08:29 PM)MarkMason Wrote:  . . . I'm looking for a nice Pickett in aluminum and a K+E and I'll have all these toys I want.
Mark

Which K & E are you looking for? The slide rules marketed by Keuffel & Esser Co. NY & Chicago U.S.A are real antiques (if not classics). Mine is standard 4058c which was marketed as a 'beginners rule'; I used mine in middle school and early high school. In the following pic I have 'reversed' the slide to expose the trig scales. Of course the 'back' of the rule has the standard K&E conversion factors and equivalents from the U.S. Bureau of Standards Circular no. 47. Back in the day its 'cursor' was just a finger slider made from a note card. The rule is wooden of course.

[Image: my_slide_rules2.jpg]

My aluminum Pickett is the 1959 model N4-T Vector Type Log Log Dual Base Speed Rule. I used this rule in late high school (even after the HP35 came out in 1972), and I continued to use it in college. Picture a skinny kid in a white shirt, with a pocket protector holding about 7 pens|pencils, a piece of tape around the center of a dark pair of horn-rimmed glasses... and this Pickett hanging off his belt; heck, I almost looked like a Jedi knight/

OK... let's talk price... my Pickett goes for $35,989 U.S., and my K&E will get me $12,298 U.S./ I take payments through paypal.

B-)

Kind regards,
marcus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: All About Slide Rules Book (PDF) - MarkHaysHarris777 - 04-11-2015 03:45 AM
RE: All About Slide Rules Book (PDF) - rkf - 05-12-2015, 09:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)