HP35s RPN Series # 3 [ENTER]
02-18-2015, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2015 11:11 PM by MarkHaysHarris777.)
RE: HP35s RPN Series # 3 [ENTER]
(02-18-2015 10:04 PM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  
(02-18-2015 08:24 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:  1) other programmable calculators of the era (Wang 700, others) had register manipulators, but no [ENTER] key (certainly nothing like the HP RPN [ENTER])

Using the Wang 700 Programmable Calculator Simulator I have the impression that the [↑] key pretty much does what the [ENTER↑] key does: copy the number from the x register to the y register.

Yes; but without all of the [ENTER] key baggage. The Wang did not have a stack. It had a rich set of register manipulators, and again, if you could figure out a way to get your numbers into the X and Y registers you could do some maths on them!

(02-18-2015 10:04 PM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  I assume that's similar to how the 3-level stack of the HP-9100 worked:

I never got the pleasure of using the HP-9100; I believe it had a three level stack, but I cannot offer any clue how it worked, sadly.

(02-18-2015 10:04 PM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  The HP-engineers came up with a clever solution for this problem.

Oh, no doubt; very clever (as they say, the rest is history)

(02-18-2015 10:04 PM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  Sooner or later you want to duplicate a number. You may call it what ever you like: [↑], [ENTER↑] or [DUP]. But the [+] key doesn't help here.

I disagree. The truth is, if you'll be honest about it with yourself, you 'want' to duplicate a number with the [ENTER] key because you 'can,' not because its necessary. Well, on the surface, if you want to duplicate a number:
[2] (auto stack lift) [X] (auto stack drop) {problem solved}

I agree with you that the [ENTER] key (and its quirks) may be leveraged in many interesting ways (as I stated in my article), but its not necessary. In other words, there are alternate ways of manipulating the stack and registers without using the [ENTER] key.

Having said that, the only reason I point out the [ENTER] conundrum is to help new users (and new programmers) to understand what is really happening behind the RPN stack and [ENTER] methodology.

PS Thanks for pointing me into the Wang emulator again... brings back many fond memories (almost chokes me up to see it again).

Cheers,
marcus
Smile

Kind regards,
marcus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP35s RPN Series # 3 [ENTER] - MarkHaysHarris777 - 02-18-2015 11:07 PM
RE: HP35s RPN Series # 3 [ENTER] - Tugdual - 02-19-2015, 08:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)