HP35s Revisited Trig Quandary Bug # 2
02-17-2015, 09:31 PM
RE: HP35s Revisited Trig Quandary Bug # 2
(02-17-2015 09:01 PM)Paul Dale Wrote:  
Quote:'nobody' (at least not engineers, nor scientists) runs their calculator in 'all' mode

I pretty much always run my calculator in ALL mode and I'm in that nobody group Smile

I rest my case. Wink

But seriously, what is intended is that (whether you run your calculator 'physically' to show all digits, in your intellect you are certain that all of those digits don't MEAN anything. We like to see many digits of PI strung out because they're beautiful, right, but what do they MEAN. With 13-15 digits of PI I can calculate the circumference of the visible universe to within the width of a hadron... what do I need with 30 digits or more? When most of the time normal people can't measure further than 3-4 significant figures why in the world do we need our calculators set in 'all' mode so that every one of those digits shows?

Here's an example 0.142857142857142857142857 blah blah blah we all recognize 1/7 th immediately, but some of us 'need' to see all those repeating digits (I don't know why).

The pretty print of the FX115es Plus only shows five of them... and draws a line over it-! BUT, if you were going to measure 1/7 0.142857 how far would you really be able to measure it on a cm scale for instance?? Accurately?? You might squeak out the '2' but you'd not even get the '8'.

Cheers,
marcus
Smile

Kind regards,
marcus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP35s Revisited Trig Quandary Bug # 2 - MarkHaysHarris777 - 02-17-2015 09:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)