[34S] Proposal for Entry RPN mode with dynamic stack
03-04-2015, 07:25 PM
RE: [34S] Proposal for Entry RPN mode with dynamic stack
(03-04-2015 10:43 AM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  
Quote:How can I tell what I think till I see what I say?
-- Aspects of the Novel, by E. M. Forster

Discovery Writing and the so-called Forster Quote

[From the article]

Quote:But because this quote is a kind of touchstone for what we mean when we say ‘discovery writing’, I’ve made the effort to track it down. It seems to come, as I’ve said, from Aspects of the Novel. Forster had been critiquing Gide’s sense that a novel should not be planned. Forster’s words are sarcastic, and put Gide’s ideas into the mouth of an uneducated “old lady”, a “distinguished critic” who has no “understand”[ing] of “what logic is”:

“Another distinguished critic has agreed with Gide – that old lady in the anecdote who has accused her nieces of being illogical. For some time she could not be brought to understand what logic was, and when she grasped its true nature she was not so much angry as contemptuous. “Logic! Good gracious! What rubbish!” she exclaimed. “How can I tell you what I think till I see what I say?” Her nieces, educated young women, thought that she was passée; she was really more up-to date than they were.” (Forster, 1927: 71, emphasis mine)

Forster, then, was not an exemplar of discovery writing, as many people now assume, but was an early critic.

Let everyone draw their own conclusions.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [34S] Proposal for Entry RPN mode with dynamic stack - Mark Hardman - 03-04-2015 07:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)