HP 35s firmware defect confirmation
01-21-2015, 07:44 PM
RE: HP 35s firmware defect confirmation
(01-21-2015 06:16 PM)Jeff O. Wrote:  I don't think anyone seriously expects it to be updated today. From what I have heard and read, the technology used is obsolete, so a complete physical and electronic redesign would be required. Does anyone think that the potential market would justify such an expenditure by HP? So it will likely stand as-is as the last in the line of the non-graphing, "classic RPN*" scientific calculators that began in 1972 with the HP-35.

I tend to agree completely. I honestly think that the answer to the apparent continued new sales (and I too was surprised) is the FE and PE exam in the United States. The HP35s is the most powerful calc permitted on the exam (at least through 2015) and *only* one of two programable calcs permitted on the exam at all (the other being the 33s predecessor).

There seems to be a high demand for the unit (quirks and all) and there are apparently some OEM re-marketers out there hand-keying FE and PE equations and algorithms into the 35s and then reselling them as a value add! While it seems unlikely that HP would reinvest in this platform (all things being equal) there does also seem to be a market driven factor that might mitigate those beliefs. I don't know...

PS I was surprised to find that the unit used an embedded 8502 core. My first personal computer in the home (VIC 20) used its 6502 predecessor. Looping is painfully slow on the 35s for integration and other iterative number crunching. I'm thinking the new model should be ARMed, and have a three line display for pretty print like the fx115; but of course be RPN and programable. I think there is a market for it considering the FE and PE.

PSS A calc like the WP34s (still have not played with one) would not be allowed on the FE because of its comm capabilities, flashable ROM, &c.

Thanks for your response. Nice to meet you; have a great day !
Smile

Kind regards,
marcus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP 35s firmware defect confirmation - MarkHaysHarris777 - 01-21-2015 07:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)