hypothetical: more return stack levels on 11C, 15C, 16C
01-23-2024, 09:00 PM
RE: hypothetical: more return stack levels on 11C, 15C, 16C
Hi Eric,

I'll be the counter-example and say that an increased return stack could be useful since you're increasing the number of available program steps.

Consider the HP33. Everyone moans about the tiny number of labels, but nobody complains about that number in the 32. Why? Because the 33 has 10's of kilobytes of program space while the 32 only has a few hundred. Basically, more labels are needed to make the extra program space useful. I think it's the same with the return stack. If someone tried to make use of the extra program space, they might run into the return stack limitation.

To me, however, the most useful addition you could make to the 15/16 firmware running with a dot-matrix display is text display of program steps (instead of key codes). I think I saw someone who did something similar in the display driver. They just pattern matched which display segments were on and changed it accordingly.

And that's my 2 cents worth Smile. Thanks for all the work you're putting into this.

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: hypothetical: more return stack levels on 11C, 15C, 16C - David Hayden - 01-23-2024 09:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)