What adhesive is best to repair vintage calculator metal sheet on plastic?
06-09-2023, 02:43 AM
What adhesive is best to repair vintage calculator metal sheet on plastic?
Perhaps someone on this forum can help me out with this.

I have a Sharp EL-805 in excellent condition despite its age (1973), except that the front part of the aluminum metal sheet has delaminated from the plastic cover (it still sticks on the back.) The adhesive is 50 years old, so it is not entirely surprising this might happen. See closeup picture (pardon the dust.)

What adhesive should I use to fix this? As pictured, there is not much space between the metal and plastic to work with, unless bending the sheet up from the plastic (the thought makes me cringe.) An adhesive that applies thinly and doesn't dry too fast should work. Double sided tape is probably too thick and may make the sheet stick up some. It doesn't need to be a strong bond to hold the sheet metal in place, recessed in and on the plastic frame.

Or should I just leave this vintage calculator as it is? I worry that the metal sheet cover may get caught on something, like the leather case, and gets bend. Fixing a bend aluminum sheet might be hard to hide the bend.

Something as simple as the adhesive of a glue stick might work. It is not damaging to the materials and not as permanent. Or is that a bad idea?

- Rob

"I count on old friends" -- HP 71B,Prime|Ti VOY200,Nspire CXII CAS|Casio fx-CG50...|Sharp PC-G850,E500,2500,1500,14xx,13xx,12xx...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
What adhesive is best to repair vintage calculator metal sheet on plastic? - robve - 06-09-2023 02:43 AM
Rubber cement - striegel - 06-09-2023, 01:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)