Kids can't use computers... and this is why it should worry you
04-26-2023, 12:19 PM
RE: Kids can't use computers... and this is why it should worry you
(04-25-2023 06:10 PM)pier4r Wrote:  About this - good point - the author of "The Secret Horsepower Race" (I can suggest the book, though it took some savings for me to buy it) wrote:

[snip]
---

My comment on this was: "This is a good summary and I think it applies everywhere. The more the specialization, the more one is "user of tools developed by others" while a smaller group develops those tools (note that the developers of that circle can still be larger than the group in the past). Of course this also means that missing some fundamentals can lead to less optimal solutions." (see brute force, consuming computing power rather than brain cycles)

This is indeed an extraordinary book, probably the most satisfying I've bought in years (among > 50). As for the point made about being no smarter today, keep in mind that the topic was designing ultimate piston engines for fighter aircraft, and due to the emergence of Jet engines, very little additional effort was spent on that specific effort since them. While engine development has certainly continued in general, the specifics pertaining to making the absolute maximum power at any cost, and unrestrained fuel consumption, etc. has no place in day-to-day normal engineering development, hence the Engineer's comment makes sense - we're no smarter today since we haven't worked on that problem since then.

All that said, I don't disagree with your broader comments, I just wanted to shed some light on the context of his comments.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kids can't use computers... and this is why it should worry you - rprosperi - 04-26-2023 12:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)