[HP41/71B/75D HP-IL ILPER ILVIDEO] PIL-Storage multiple connection
12-21-2022, 08:05 PM
RE: [HP41/71B/75D HP-IL ILPER ILVIDEO] PIL-Storage multiple connection
That could be the case, but my experiences seem to been the opposite. I use Linux for almost everything and as you say, it does use Python for many built-in system operations.

But this means that when I encounter a python application that has been built for a later version than the one that drives the system, and attempt to update to match, I break things. There is an attempt to keep system resources separate from those used for transient things but I still show astounding ability to break them Sad.

The general advice is to do such things in a virtual environment. This is probably easier for the experienced python user than for the newb just trying to run something he found on the net. In particular, it's a non-obvious step (and I seem to fall for it even now, burnt fingers and all).

In contrast, running a windows python application means installing everything needed from scratch, and not affecting anything in the system (though there is potential damage if other python applications are in use). So I think it ends up being more completely documented and less invasive. But my experience of running those is even more limited and there may be other common difficulties.

The Pi is perhaps in a middle ground. It does rely on the local system, but it's so small and cheap that it is common to dedicate an entire machine to the job. This means that the developer gets it working using whatever processes work, and then often encapsulates the entire file system for the end user. So the developer's environment is replicated and all is well. So it could work for floppy, but they will experience all the integration pain. At least though, his users wouldn't !

In recent years Python has become beloved by many developers, and quite strongly defended when criticised. I am, though, finding more and more often when I feel like voicing my criticisms that there are others who agree with this.

I sincerely hope that some of the effort being put into the problem pays off and it becomes the reliable environment that many think it is. At the moment, that seems to be by proliferating dependency management systems. Incompatibly, of course Smile.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [HP41/71B/75D HP-IL ILPER ILVIDEO] PIL-Storage multiple connection - artag - 12-21-2022 08:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)