Advents of Code (programming challenges)
12-24-2022, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 12-24-2022 09:44 AM by pier4r.)
RE: Advents of Code (programming challenges)
I am ahead of you only because I used a more comfortable language for day 1-13 (well, day 12 and 13 were a pain). I still have to redo day 1-13 with the 50g, so actually in terms of problem solved with the 50g you are ahead. And if one counts also day 1-8 of 2021 (that I never solved so far), you did already 32 parts on the 50g (16 days, 2 parts each), while I am still at zero. Although of course not every problem has the same difficulty.

And yes I think the site is more geared towards "nice compact but not too easy challenges for people with modern systems and modern languages". Thus languages with regex and that can use modern CPUs (even from 2005 and after that). Maybe something like GWBasic, powerbasic or other languages on the 200LX could be also easier, I am not sure.

I completely agree on the processing time. With modern sytems a bad or a good solution termine more or less in acceptable time thanks to the plentiful processing power. In a constrained system, only the good solutions survive and the rest is too slow (if one doesn't have plenty of time). Although I suspect that with platforms like newRPL the 50g could execute good solutions (not the bad ones) real fast, only I don't have the setup for newRPL at the moment (maybe someone else could participate with newRPL).

For the 3 hour estimate. I don't find it bad, if one can wait (say, overnight or let it run in the middle of the day, then do something else). If one is in an hurry, yes, it is hard to be faster.
At the end I always remember that systems like the 50g have a similar computational power than early supercomputers, like the CDC 6600 (1 , 2), and on those systems a lot was done (and likely more difficult than what I solve), therefore I should do at least a fraction of that too.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Advents of Code (programming challenges) - pier4r - 12-24-2022 09:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)