For people looking for a 3d printer
07-20-2014, 02:23 AM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2014 02:30 AM by Dale Reed.)
RE: For people looking for a 3d printer
(07-20-2014 01:54 AM)eried Wrote:  MakerGear M2 looks really nice, do you have any very near image of an object printed with that?

Here's the MAKE Magazine 2013 Torture Test object (Thingiverse thing #33902) printed on my printer (and photographed by me right after printing, on the date shown) at 0.2 mm layer thickness with 90/180 degree infill using MakerGear black PLA (polylactic acid) 1.75 mm filament. Software for slicing and printer control is Simplify3D.

Also, check out the MakerGear Forum Printed Object Showcase to see what all everybody is showing off.

I picked the M2 mainly after a detailed read-through of the MAKE 2013 3D Printing special issue, which compared about 18 models. But after doing more online research and finding out the M2 was built just down the street, I invited myself and 3 friends from work to go check it out at the shop one day after lunch. Rick and his employees were very gracious and informative and showed us several M2s --- building parts for M2s, of course! --- and several sample prints. Pay-Pal'ed my order that evening and have never regretted it for a second.

It really is built to last forever, and Rick and his team keep making design improvements. The new dual-extruder setup that's being shipped to a few early adopters has all-metal hot ends. The MakerGear hot ends and extruders are used by a lot of people who have built their own RepRap-style printers and swear by them - not at them.

I've taken my M2 to a couple of STEM events at local schools and have not had to re-level the bed -- it just stays in alignment. Really a stable, strong machine.

Dale
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: For people looking for a 3d printer - Dale Reed - 07-20-2014 02:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)