DM42 vs hp49gp (performance-wise)
12-13-2021, 02:12 PM
DM42 vs hp49gp (performance-wise)
Hello,

I am humbly asking for an advice...my journey with HP calculators started way back in 1984 when I bought 15C which served my during my electrical/computer engineering studies. Then I proceed with 28S which I lated donated to some student anticipating I would not have a need for such calculator.

Later, I wanted to write some programs for my studies of Vedic astrology and went with HP49gp which I still have and used Urania application.

These days I'm using specialized desktop application and have light Android app, but still, I'd like to have some calculator companion for my work enabling me not to be too dependent on the Internet, availability to work in less-distracted places where there are is no "no computer sound" etc. :-)

There are few options which I see:

1. continue with HP49gp
    iow. use Urania or some other lighter package - I need only ephemeris and write some routines on top of that.
  2. HP Prime which might be easier for programming and use similar scenario as under 1)
  3. some model from SwissMicro like DM42/DM41X

How much is HP49gp performant in comparison with DM4x models mentioned above?

HP Prime does seem like bloated overkill for my needs and I don't like touch screens etc.

When it comes to SwissMicro models I learnt that DM41X's advantage might be the ability to use some of many available models which handle ephemeris calculation, but the trade-off is slower speed and less accuracy.

DM42 - newer version with improved keyboard - is faster, more precise, but I wonder about the ability to execute any HP41C program or easiness to port them to DM42?

When it comes to programming, I was writing RPN programs for my HP15C which I still have and use - today I was impressed watching two youtube videos comparing its performance with DM41X and with the DM42. Any comment how it is that 15C is so competitive?) and was using UserRPL (without diving into SysRPL) on HP49gp.

I agree that RPN as used on DM41x/DM42 is simpler, but wonder whether they provide good-enough environment for my needs where I'd also like, if possible, to be able to create graphics of someone's chart with astro symbols, like [Image: chart-example.png].

Otherwise, both DM models look very nice, quaility build and SM is giving a life to HP calcs: Wink

Any hint in regard?

Sincerely,
Gour
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
DM42 vs hp49gp (performance-wise) - gour - 12-13-2021 02:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)