Plus42 Equations, Preview Release
05-02-2022, 11:16 AM
RE: Plus42 Equations, Preview Release
(05-02-2022 09:49 AM)jonmoore Wrote:  Slide-over views are a classic iOS UX pattern and perfect for the print view on Plus42. Thanks for highlighting this as I probably would have missed it.

What the iOS version does with sliding sideways is not the same thing as Slide Over on the iPad, I think, and there's also Split View. I think I'll get those features essentially for free when I turn on iPad targeting in the Xcode project settings, but there are some issues having to do with the Free42/Plus42 views are managed. In a nutshell, the UI structure in my apps is not the way iOS apps are really supposed to be structured (Free42 is my first iOS app, I didn't know any better...), and while I have been able to get away with that on the various iPhones and iPod touches, it starts to cause real problems when trying to support the iPad properly. So, there is some work to be done there.

(05-02-2022 09:49 AM)jonmoore Wrote:  But what's n-key typing? Is this similar to my request for a proper alpha keyboard?

Rollover refers to the behavior of electronic keyboards that allow multiple keys to be down at the same time. As in: press A, press B, release A, release B: in that sequence of key events, you want both A and B to be recognized as typed characters, even though B was pressed before A was released. Without this, you start to get dropped or out-of-order key events when users are typing quickly.

The n in n-key rollover means that the keyboard will allow pressing arbitrarily many keys without dropping keystrokes. Early keyboards sometimes had only 2-key rollover, or no rollover at all. And in Free42 for Android and iOS, I tried to implement n-key rollover for the touchscreen. I got it to work in the iOS version, but in the Android version, it was a disaster.

So, no, not related to proper alpha keyboards. (Which is another feature that has turned out to be a lot easier on iOS than Android, but I digress.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Plus42 Equations, Preview Release - Thomas Okken - 05-02-2022 11:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)