[split] TI-84 new Python announced -- Was --- What would you like to see in a future HP Prime II? (HP Prime², HP Prime 2
05-11-2021, 10:24 PM
RE: [split] TI-84 new Python announced -- Was --- What would you like to see in a futu...
(05-11-2021 06:42 PM)Liam Hays Wrote:  
Dave Britten Wrote:This model has been out in parts of Europe for a while, hasn't it? TI's current "solution" is a little Python module (i.e. SBC running Micro Python) that you plug into the 84's USB port, whereas this model integrates some form of coprocessor - likely ARM - to do the Python work without any external accessories.

That's pretty neat, actually. Is the module expensive? It shouldn't be if it's just a processor on a stick, so to speak, but given TI's markup on their other products...

But if they're integrating second processor, I have to wonder why. It seems like it would be easier and cheaper to have the entire OS run on the ARM chip, and take advantage of the processing power present there, like they already do on the n-spire series.

Silicon is cheaper than programmers, so rewriting the whole firmware to run on ARM is probably a lot more expensive than just keeping the Z80 and adding a cheap ARM coprocessor. Smile Not to mention the opportunity cost of undertaking such a major development project. Maybe some day... I bet if they do it, it'll be an arrangement like the HP 50G where the legacy CPU is emulated on an ARM.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
TI-84 new Python announced - Dave Britten - 05-11-2021, 04:34 PM
RE: [split] TI-84 new Python announced -- Was --- What would you like to see in a futu... - Dave Britten - 05-11-2021 10:24 PM
TI-84 new Python announced - tcab - 08-11-2021, 09:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)