HP-41CL Remote Keyboard / Scripting
04-15-2021, 10:10 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2021 10:12 PM by rocket.scientist.)
RE: HP-41CL Remote Keyboard / Scripting
I will definitely do some research into the products mentioned, though I doubt they are still available today except by lucky find.

I have considered the possibility of two options. First is to reverse engineer the code in the barcode ROM and perhaps adapt it to HP-IL. This is a tall order for me since I am completely unfamiliar with a number of skills necessary here. But then the bigger the challenge, the better satisfaction when it is done. The second and more achievable is to program a micro to emit flashes of light on a LED that mimics the light / dark ratios of the barcode, and optically couple that to a wand. This approach would only provide an "end effector" and still require a PC to coordinate all the pieces.

As an answer to "why", I can only say that I have had an interest over decades on how to use a HMI intensive device like the 41C in a process controlled environment. Using such a device to run the fiddly periodic updates to my CL is a good example. There are many more. Significant here is the HP-41C is end-of-life for all but us devotees. Practicality of use of such a solution is strictly secondary.

Thanks to all for the ideas. Stay healthy.

-Pat (KG5YPQ)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP-41CL Remote Keyboard / Scripting - rocket.scientist - 04-15-2021 10:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)