For Sale: HP-71B MultiMod ROM Emulator
03-17-2021, 08:15 PM
RE: For Sale: HP-71B MultiMod ROM Emulator
J-F informs that his Math2B ROM has a minor bug fix taking it from rev. 6 to rev. 7. I've updated my git repository with the appropriate math2b7.dat file. All further MultiMods from today forward will have this version of the ROM. So, here's a challenge for those awaiting their MultiMod - on arrival, update the Ultimate ROM collection with the new Math2B image. Here are the steps

- Use POKE "2C000","0" to unplug the ROMs and then turn off the 71.
- Flip over and connect your USB serial cable, ground to board ground, transmit to board receive, receive to board transmit. Configure 19200 baud, 8N1, Xon/Xoff flow control (critically important!)
- Tap (Return) to enter the serial monitor
- Type ? for a list of commands, then "r" (Return) to see the ROM Configuration Table

This will show as
Code:

ROM LIST
ROM 1 16K 1 EOM
ROM 2 32K 2 EOM
ROM 3 32K 4 EOM
ROM 4 16K 0 EOM LAST
ROM 5 16K 5 EOM
ROM 6 16K 6 CHIP HARD
ROM 7 16K 7 CHIP HARD

The first table slot is the 16K Forth ROM in "chip" 1, and the second table entry is the 32K Math ROM starting in "chip" 2 and continuing to "chip" 3. To replace the old ROM image with the new one, download the math2b7.dat file from github, then use the following commands (case not important)

Code:

E 2 (ERASE 2)
E 3 (ERASE 3)
I 2 (IMAGE 2)

Use Send File to transfer the ROM data image to the MultiMod, then tap (Return) a couple of times. Finally, type 'Q' to quit the serial monitor and return control to the ROM emulator. Failure to forget the Quit command will leave the board in serial monitor mode!

Now just turn the 71 on, type POKE "2C000","3", turn the 71 off, then on and use the VER$ command to verify all ROMs are plugged back in.

That's it, all done!
~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: For Sale: HP-71B MultiMod ROM Emulator - mfleming - 03-17-2021 08:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)