The Role of the Graphing Calculator in 2021 and Beyond
04-12-2021, 05:33 PM
RE: The Role of the Graphing Calculator in 2021 and Beyond
(04-11-2021 10:24 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  Graphing calculators are going to be around for a while. I anticipate that they will be more streamlined.

Calculators have several advantages:
* A device made for mathematical calculations
* Portable programming device (at least for Basic and Python, I hope they would try again with C++, at least with a simple version of it)
* Scientific modules and peripherals made for the calculators
* You don't have to worry about it going on the internet and getting calls (big point for teachers and professors)

Good points! No distractions. Graphing calculators like the excellent HP PRIME are more powerful yet easier to use than an app on a phone. I also still use Pocket Computers for calculations with BASIC and C. Especially BASIC is much quicker for "throw away" programming. These machines don't run out of batteries for weeks and do not turn off or go to sleep when you're in the middle of working on a problem.

(04-12-2021 04:01 PM)John Keith Wrote:  I humbly disagree with your choices for programming languages. Python is marginal on a small device with a non-QWERTY keyboard. BASIC and C++ would be a nightmare. A language that is only practical on a PC with a full-size keyboard and display is not very useful for a pocket size device. This is one of the main reasons why I continue to use the 50g (and EMU48) more than the prime.

Yep. Surely Python and C require a full keyboard to get anything done. CASIO's "BASIC" does not require a full keyboard to enter programs quickly, but their BASIC dialect(s) are not standard so there is a learning curve. Python and C have non-trivial learning curves.

Just my 2c:

The loss of BASIC as a simple and easily accessible programming language is regrettable. Calculus textbooks used to have BASIC programs, so learning BASIC was "automatic" with the math stuff. And it was fun too, because the graphics and sound commands are all built-in. No stupid libraries to figure out and install on every damn machine.

With that in mind, Python is great, but NOT a replacement of what BASIC was able to do to encourage programming as a way to solve problems. I wonder why so few people can actually properly code? In 2021 Johnnie still cannot code! He just learned to copy-paste Python examples from the web. Real programmers do not just program, they solve problems in whatever programming language works for them the best. So was intrigued when I recently read that Python is the most popular programming language, apparently by the frequency of Google searches for Python tutorials. Hmmm... I wonder why? Smile

"I count on old friends" -- HP 71B,Prime|Ti VOY200,Nspire CXII CAS|Casio fx-CG50...|Sharp PC-G850,E500,2500,1500,14xx,13xx,12xx...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Role of the Graphing Calculator in 2021 and Beyond - robve - 04-12-2021 05:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)