The Role of the Graphing Calculator in 2021 and Beyond
03-03-2021, 09:56 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2021 10:16 PM by StephenG1CMZ.)
RE: The Role of the Graphing Calculator in 2021 and Beyond
The way that Casio, HP and TI are all competing in an increasingly challenging calculator market reminds me of the microcomputer marketplace in the 1980s.
The BBC micro, Commodore and others, each with an incompatible Basic and a lack of portable software applications. The standardisation on the IBM PC led to much easier software development and led to the PC dominating the microcomputer competition.

Perhaps something could be done to amalgamate the calculator marketplace and standardise the competing calculators. Whether by having a standard hardware specification or a standard software language (Python?), or exam script that they could all support.

Whilst I can understand why each are tempted to retain their own unique selling points, just look at where the BBC microcomputer, Sinclair Spectrum and IBM PC are now.

Is there really a reason not to standardise?

On a specific hardware point, I am finding the limited screen resolution increasingly limiting - some method of displaying high definition would be welcome, whether on-calculator or by linking to a Hdmi or phone.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Role of the Graphing Calculator in 2021 and Beyond - StephenG1CMZ - 03-03-2021 09:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)