The Role of the Graphing Calculator in 2021 and Beyond
03-03-2021, 07:54 PM
RE: The Role of the Graphing Calculator in 2021 and Beyond
I don't think phones should not be considered a "gigantic threat" but possibly a great opportunity. The three things that keep a smartphone from being a real portable computing device are 1) they are by nature locked down to ensure they are reliable at being a phone, 2) no keyboard with good tactile feedback, 3) limited I/O capability.

The first problem is an issue for my main phone, but I'm beginning to get a collection of older devices that could be repurposed--unlocked from their phone duties and converted into small computers. I've packed around multiple computers and calculators for years so having a separate device is not a problem for me.

The second problem may be a matter of taste, but it would not be hard to fashion a good external keypad to use with the phone connected by wire or Bluetooth. I've also been looking at similar solutions to the third problem, having an I/O board connected to the phone could easily provide that utility for all sorts of devices and would not be that hard with what is easily available in the maker market.

The only question I have is whether some professional level calculator app will be released before I get to the point that I have an old phone capable of running a desktop suite of scientific software.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Role of the Graphing Calculator in 2021 and Beyond - john gustaf stebbins - 03-03-2021 07:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)