HP-71B Custom Key Definitions to save lots of keystrokes
02-09-2021, 07:41 AM
RE: HP-71B Custom Key Definitions to save lots of keystrokes
(02-08-2021 08:24 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(02-08-2021 03:47 PM)Chr Yoko Wrote:  Great Thanks,
But if i type "RUN RPN" i get "ERR:File Not Found"
;-)

You need to have the RPN (a BIN file) program installed; it's among the many swap disk collections, easy to find. This was written by Chris Capaner and sold though EduCalc starting in late '84 I believe.

RPN was a straightforward, easy to use non-programmble RPN calculator which made the 71B useful as a calculator! That silly Calc Mode that the dev. team crowed about so much was an abomination, and as Valentin often points out, took away valuable ROM space that could have been used for far better things. IMHO, even large blocks of zeros would have been better use, as they would not have wasted so much time trying to convince folks that Calc Mode was a good thing. They even got Joe Horn to like it, for a little while, and he had Papal dispensation and should have been immune. Powerful beings, those HP dev guys were...

Thanks Bob for this part of history 8-)

As for the Calc mode, i agree that it requires a bit of adaptation for a brain that is hardwired into RPN mode ....

Using the RES function ({f}END_LINE) helps a bit reducing the pain :
>2+5
>RES*2
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP-71B Custom Key Definitions to save lots of keystrokes - Chr Yoko - 02-09-2021 07:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)