49 50 Ver6.09.hp Geodesic distance & Earth Euclidean distance calculator, bearing
03-27-2021, 11:21 PM
RE: (49) (50) Geodesic distance calculator
Thanks for your feedback, Jim.

Regarding the HP67, it was then my dream to possess such a calculator, that I never could accomplish as a teen.
Later, however, I got an HP28S, then the 48SX and GX, before using the 50g... and losing it.
Now I loaded the great emu48 Android Application on my phone; it is an absolute flawless must : stable and fast, very easy to transfer files from and into the phone calculator. Indeed a pure marvel.

Back to my geodesic distance calculator, the main goal was:
- clarity in input arguments;
- clarity in outputs of the results.

Here are three main changes, that we might feel sorry not to have included here.

- When executing the P1P2->s, with normal font it was not possible to see at once, in one single, quick glance, or without manipulating the calculator keys, the principal result s.
Now, changing the order of the alpha1 variable, the 3 distances s, s.0 and s.h12 appear together, normally on stack levels 3, 2 and 1, respectively (or 4, 3 and 2, when s is induly calculated < s.0).

- When going into subdirectory DATA.DIST* for multiple way points calculation and executing P1..PN->Ss, it appeared only the results in form of a matrix; it was and still is quite complete, but somewhat difficult to compare horizontal cells, in particular s, s.0 ans s.h12, if the columns were or are stretched;
now, I gave to that form (format) of result the name of RES.M (M for Matrix), that appears on level 1, and added the results in form (format) of a list named RES.L (L for List) that you can easily watch by a SWAP touch (right arrow, i.e. the key upper the back-space key), as it is given on stack-level 2;

- On stack level 3, you find the list of the way points you last gave for the P1..PN->Ss execution, argument list that you can also see again pressing its (new) name LAST.LIST;

Another addition:
For some results, the textbook mode or formal (flat -79 on OFF) might hide part of the results, so that now, when necessary, it was set on ON to avoid that issue.

* Note
When entering and saving new point in the directory DATA.DIST, for example;
(45.3059, 79) 'Pt.a' STO (meaning 45d 30'59''North, 79d long East),
{-46.0020, -79} 'Pt.b' STO (meaning 46d0'20'' lat South, 79d long West),
{46, -12, 100} 'Ptc' STO (meaning 46d lat North, 12d l'on West, 100m above the ellipsoid),

a smart reflex is to think of "cleaning" your first page of that directory DATA.LIST, leaving it exactly how it was originally, executing:

{ P1..PN->SS RES.M RES.L
LAST.LIST "DOUBLE-TRIANGLE LOOKING RIGHT" "TRIPLE-TRIANGLE LOOKING RIGHT" }
ORDER.
Then all your variables will appear starting from page 2, leaving the page 1 only for calculation and results.

Enjoy
and regards,
Gil
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: (49) (50) Geodesic distance calculator - Gil - 03-27-2021 11:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)