Term for feature that abstracts RPN program location?
05-13-2020, 05:21 AM
RE: Term for language that abstracts program location?
(05-12-2020 04:33 PM)Orome Wrote:  What is the technical term that describes a programming language that abstracts (or at least largely abstracts) the machine location of programs?

I’m thinking here specifically of the evolution of HP keystroke languages, from early (and some late) models where each instruction exists in a single linear space (e.g., before the 41 series), to (some) later models such as the 41 series and the 42S, where each program exists in its own space.

Is there a formal term for this difference?

I think you are mixing two concepts up.

Essentially all programming languages has a concept of abstracting away the location of a program. The only one that I can think of that does not is what is called an absolute assembler. Languages that expose real locations are usually relocatable through some loader mechanism, or use a fixed location but are separated from other programs by different OS processes. Many languages have no concept of a visible location.

Then you talk about that we can have one or multiple program spaces. This is kind of partitioning or separation (of code slices, or programs).

That we can keep things separate is called a "file" when saved to some storage. I do not know of about a proper term for that concept when it is loaded as a program in a calculator. I think one would say that the program memory can be shared by more than one program that are separate from each other. I do not know of any technical or formal term for it, one would need to describe it with some words.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Term for language that abstracts program location? - hth - 05-13-2020 05:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)