What would you like to see in a future HP Prime II? (HP Prime², HP Prime 2X)
07-12-2020, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2020 05:59 PM by Anders.)
RE: What would you like to see in a future HP Prime II? (HP Prime², HP Prime 2X)
I think you are right in our different perspectives is because some view a next gen calculator as tool for calculation and some want a tool of thought - truly amplifying your solution solving capabilities at conceptual level.

I'm looking for a productive "solution solving machine" in a handheld format which is basically a tool of thought. The idea of reinventing yet another tool for calculations in 2020 is pretty meaningless in my view. HP Prime, HP42S, HP48xx, HP50g or some of Swiss micros flavor will do just nicely.
I do not think a Prime II should have to goal of perfecting a HP50g or similar in a new case with a modern CPU and more memory, perfecting number of key strokes it takes to perform a function, moving a few buttons around on the key board to perfect the layout or add more highly specialized functions to libraries.

As I wrote above in the thread, a rich CAS machine that can mix variables (unknowns), variables (known) and numbers is where it needs to go (all CAS stuff disabled in Exam mode). Take Giac, roll in new releases and aim towards Wolfram alpha.

My other refence is relevant modern languages with active development like Pyhon and R.

To make the "Prime II" tool of thought truly usable in education at high schools but also at engineering universities and professionally, it has to be extendible with math and science libraries, with largest broadest spread that has the biggest market size (all students + all professionals), flourishing development and a future. Python is where the puck is going (or already is). We should also allow to leverage (which Python can do) the libraries written in R - that would open up an entire new world for a handheld device.

The point is that a handheld platform that can leverage all the massive development that takes place to day in Python and R etc. would be truly next gen. This would truly amplify a users solution solving capability also at the high end!

Obviously programming is done an a PC/mac and transferred to the handheld device. (all programs are disabled in Exam mode).

I want the best of both worlds maximum capability in a handheld format.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would you like to see in a future HP Prime II? (HP Prime², HP Prime 2X) - Anders - 07-12-2020 05:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)