What would you like to see in a future HP Prime II? (HP Prime², HP Prime 2X)
06-24-2020, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2020 07:25 PM by Anders.)
RE: What would you like to see in a future HP Prime II? (HP Prime², HP Prime 2X)
Personally, I want to see the prime platform move forward not backwards to some sort of "good old days" which were quite frankly not that great anyway… I would like to minimizing mundane task so you can operate at the conceptual level letting the machine do the mundane takes. Like in the past where you spent time on the wrong things, putting huge effort into: obscure programing, minimizing key strokes, using programming models developed for another time and much less capable h/w, where focus was counting # of bytes, minimizing # of clock cycles and fitting stuff into kilobytes of storage (and believe me I have done that). Trying to fit stuff within memory and CPU constrains is interesting topic on its own, but not if you are taking an EE, ME etc class in 2020. In year 2020+, you want solution solving productivity!

I want to see:
1. Completely different level of integration and consistency between CAS and Home view.
a. The move between Home and CAS should be seamless. Most of the time to day, I find myself doing lots of copy paste to fit the format on either side.
2. Ideally it should be ONE integrated view no difference between CAS and Home. In fact, there should ONLY be the "new" CAS view, but with a setting so you can turn CAS off (for exams for example), making it effectively the home view.
3. For this to work you need a more fully fledged and richer CAS, including the home view functionality of course but also specifics (like various transformations etc.) for the various branches of engineering and math. For instance: trying to solve a simple systems problem moving back and forth between time and S (Laplace) domain with a mix of unknown and known variables, and actual numbers, is just plain painful. It’s a good example because it includes Laplace or Z transformation, (potentially) solving multiple 2nd or higher order equations, partial fraction expansion decompositions, followed by inverse Laplace or Z transformations (potentially) also involving matrix and vector manipulations (eigen values etc) in the more general case. Multiple issues with today’s Prime (and I don’t expect a future Prime to solve it all in one go with one button – not at all). Today it is just too cumbersome: some can be done in CAS some has to be done in home, but moving between the two modes and transfer intermediate results is just too hard, so end up doing most on paper and just re-enter stuff. Of course you can write CAS program to do this but that is just the problem – you write programs to solve the home view CAS view inconstancies and lack of integration.
4. And in this new CAS mode, just would like to see simple things work, like:
a. polar coordinates conversion between rectangular and polar form with any mix of symbols (of course) and/or numbers
b. proper engineering number formatting like an ENG -> (that you can shift either way) button (and a setting) that formats all numbers into 3* exponentials: x.xxx * 10^3y so you can easily convert to milli, micro, nano, pico, … kilo mega, giga etc.
c. I can think of many more annoying small things… like how many key strokes certain functions take etc
5. Full python implementation of course (math and science libraries…)
6. A proper manual how to use it all to get maximum value out of all the functionality including special books by engineering/science branch (remember HP 42S, 48S, 28S etc. booklets)
7. Not saying I want full wolfram in a calculator format (yet Smile ) but much more in that direction.

Just a few thoughts
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would you like to see in a future HP Prime II? (HP Prime², HP Prime 2X) - Anders - 06-24-2020 06:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)