What would you like to see in a future HP Prime II? (HP Prime², HP Prime 2X)
04-07-2020, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2020 10:51 PM by TheLastMillennial.)
RE: What would you like to see in a future HP Prime II?
Wouldn't this be called the HP Prime G3?

For the hardware, I'd like to see only a few major changes. First, get an LCD that has better viewing angles, and put it right side up! Wink While you're at it, if you can shrink the bezels even farther, that would be very nice for keeping the overall size but gaining more screen. I'd only like to see a resolution bump to 720p just so we can have proper Windows IOT show up on it. Tongue

I'd also like to see the HP Prime be made out of plastic that's a lot more scratch resistant than the current. Also, change the screws on the battery cover so they're like the ones on the TI 84 Plus CE so they can't fall out of the shell and get lost. Replace the micro-USB with USB type C. This will keep the Prime pretty up-to-date in terms of ports and if thunderbolt is supported then it could add the ability for external displays too. Also, USB and HID support (for keyboards) would be a very nice touch. Finally, an undo key.

There's a lot I'd like to keep from the current Prime. First off, keep sharing batteries from smartphones! The fact you can increase the original Prime's battery from 1,500mAh to 2,500mAh is fantastic! Keep the current button feel (or make the calculator an inch thicker just to add fully mechanical keys Tongue ). Keep the high refresh rate capabilities! Keep using Phillips head screws instead of some proprietary screw or a form of Torx. Also, keep all the screws visible without needing a heat gun unlike the Nspire. Finally, keep the awesome CPU, RAM, ROM, and RTC specs (or improve them farther!)

Honestly I'm still not a big fan of the current software setup; I'll try to keep this section small though. I'd like to see the soft keys either customizable, or optionally removed to make the input space taller and easier to click on. I'd also really like to see full micro Python support. Chained history edits like on the Casio Classpad has would be really nice. Better error descriptions is a must. I agree with Solver that the current ones really don't help you understand what you've done wrong. I'd also like to select a program in the program menu then decide whether to run or edit it rather than immediately editing it (this could be added to the current Prime Wink ). Finally, a parametric 3D grapher, because it has been years without one for some reason.

There are still a few things I'd like to keep from the software. Mostly the menu with time in the top right. I really love how you can tap it to get a quick menu of the date, and quickly switch from degrees to radians and vice versa. Keep the ability to scroll across large equations that don't fit on the screen. Finally, keep the copy and paste functions, those are super nice.

Those are my main points that I think are feasible. If those were implemented, I'd have the ideal HP Prime. Smile

A few nice to haves would be backlit keys and some water resistance built in.

Cemetech | YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would you like to see in a future HP Prime II? - TheLastMillennial - 04-07-2020 04:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 6 Guest(s)