NORMALD_ICDF (LEFT/CENTER/RIGHT)
03-09-2020, 03:33 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2020 03:34 AM by Wes Loewer.)
RE: NORMALD_ICDF (LEFT/CENTER/RIGHT)
(03-09-2020 12:37 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  The issue with popping up a wizard with no arguments in my mind is that it works ok in some situations, but feels quite out of place in general use... Then the expectation is set that every command should have something pop up. And those that don't take arguments as default... Dunno. Feels wanky. Smile

I see what you mean. I guess since I've seen the 84+ so much in class and it specifically has "stat wizards" that it doesn't seem out of place for me to consider these functions as special exceptions. The 84+ has a mode setting to turn these stat wizards on or off, but that would not be necessary if the "no arguments" method were used. Anybody who didn't want the wizards would simply use arguments. You are right though that you want to keep the bigger design picture in mind.

You certainaly don't want to use the 84 as a model of good design. While I've always appreciated the positive impact the stat wizards had on the students, the 84 does have a bit of a kluge feel to it. (I'm thinking specifically of the use of the Alpha key to do non-alpha tasks like the Alpha-Function key menus, Alpha-Enter to Solve, and now on the 84+CE the Alpha-X|T|θ|n key to get a stacked fraction.) You get the feeling that they've just tacked on one thing after another since the TI-81 until they've gotten to where they are today.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NORMALD_ICDF (LEFT/CENTER/RIGHT) - Wes Loewer - 03-09-2020 03:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)