New G2 Firmware 20200116 - Problems - FIXED w/ 20200121
01-18-2020, 11:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2020 12:11 AM by Jet1945.)
RE: New G2 Firmware 20200116 - Problems
(01-18-2020 10:36 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(01-18-2020 09:34 PM)smp Wrote:  If I use the HPCK to check for updates, it reports that no updates are available.

The ConnKit looks at some magic web (or ftp) folder location of HP's for the proper f/w files to download and be ready to offer f/w upgrade in the ConnKit when you connect a machine of older f/w version. The required files simply have not been put into the magic location yet, as it surely requires a committee and some marketing budget to do so; they will eventually be there and once so, will be found as expected.

It just turns out that Eric is more efficient than all that... Wink

For smp and Everyone - Let me decode the things and locations for ALL MAC Users.

Assumption - Sometime in the past you have installed the HP Connectivity Kit and (maybe) the HP Virtual Calculator.

On a "virgin" installation of the Conn Kt and the Virtual Prime - the installation creates in the DOCUMENTS Folder -two folders: HP Connectivity Kit, the other HP Prime. Each of these has sub-folders that are used appropriately:

HP Connectivity Kit Folder has the following subfolders:
Backups
Calculators
Content
Documentation
Firmware
Temp

HP Prime Folder has the following sub-folders:
Backups
Calculators
Documentation
Language
Skins
Temp

The uses of each of the subfolders are probably obvious to everyone. In the HP Conn Kit subfolder Firmware are two additional sub-folders: PrimeG1 and PrimeG2. This is where the firmware files that you download, appropriate to your Prime, go. Because the Mac "un-zips" the firmware zip file when downloaded, I just copy the files (in my case just G2) into the appropriate sub folder. The "un-zipped" files are located in the Downloads folder in a folder all their own labeled HP_Prime_Firmware_xxxxxx. It is from there that I copy the 11 files to paste into the PrimeG2 subfolder. Before I paste the "new" files, I copy (to save someplace else), then delete the "old" files in the Prime G2 folder - THEN, copy the "new" 11 files into Prime G2.

For the Conn Kit folder - I have found that the Calculator folder contains files for each of the Calculators that have been hooked up to it; in my case the virtual calc and my actual Prime. Content contains any files I may have dragged-dropped into the Conn Kit Content Window. The Doc and Temp folders are always empty for me.

In the HP Prime folder, the only thing I have used is the Skins folder. I have found some "weird" looking Skins in various places on the 'net. If you place the files here, they will show up in the Skins dropdown for selection.

My apologies if this is redundant for some of you, but from a few of the questions implied not knowing about the folder and use structure for Mac Users.

Edited to Add ('cause I forgot) - The Conn Kit does NOT track the version of the firmware in the PrimeG1/G2 folders. It just will associate that the version in the folder is different from the version installed on the actual calculator - If it is different, the Conn Kit will flash (install) whatever is in the appropriate folder (G1 or G2). I have Really, really ..... verified this because I have banged back and forth between three different versions of PrimeG2 firmware; all it takes is ... patience.

Edited to Add ('cause I keep forgetting sh... Stuff) - Always, always, always ... download and install the companion Conn Kit (and Virtual Calculator, if you use it) for the Firmware that you are installing. That makes 3 major files you need to DL to update things.

I install the Conn Kit first, then the Virtual Calculator before I think of even copying and pasting Firmware files for update. On The Mac - the first attempted launch of the Conn Kit will get you a dialog box that says something about possible malicious software and such; this is caused because HP hasn't updated their Security Certs that go into the program when it compiles. Consequently, the Mac Security squawks. WORKAROUND - click OK on the dialog box. Then go to System Preferences and select Security and Privacy icon. When that Preference Pane comes up - in the bottom third it will say HP Connectivity Kit tried to launch (or something like that) - at the right of that wording will be a radio button that says Allow Anyway. Press that and follow the bouncing ball.

The same process will happen when you launch the HP Virtual Calculator for the first time. Once you have done the Allow Anyway thing - it allows the program to run every time.

After you have launched the Conn Kit, go ahead and quit it (you don't have to) and go about moving the new Firmware around to the proper folder and then updating.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: New G2 Firmware 20200116 - Problems - Jet1945 - 01-18-2020 11:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)