Hello. My name's Dave, and I'm a Calcoholic.
01-15-2020, 01:18 AM
RE: Hello. My name's Dave, and I'm a Calcoholic.
I will try to answer some of the comment and/or question that have been raised in this thread.

I absolutely do not need any of my calculators to live, actually, between end of 1989 (when I lost my first HP HHC collection) and October 2011 (when I started my second HP HHC collection), I had only two calculators in my possession, an HP-16C and a HP-48SX.

It is only by pure luck (not sure my wife will say the same) that a search on eBay returned a list of items which included an HP-41CV (I think) which intrigued me enough to make another search on HP calculators on which the list of available items returned astounded me.
I then bought a HP-41CV at an outrageous price (I was a eBay newbie with no background on HP HHC prices at the time), then bought a card reader, some magnetic cards, then a thermal printer (82143A) and I thought it was enough.
Soon afterward, I long for more items, a bar code reader, an HP-IL module, a IL cassette drive, a IL thermal printer, an RS-232 interface to communicate with my computers, the X-Functions module, the extended I/O module, the HP-IL Development module and I thought it was enough for awhile.
Soon afterward, ... anyway you got the idea.

It is only after a year or so, that my collector compulsion took me over, I then told myself it is ok to buy the missing HP-41 modules, then the missing solution books, then the missing something HP-41 items.
When I got most of the HP-41 items available, I then started to buy the Voyager series, then the Classic series and so on until I had everything (well almost) that HP and most third party had produced (calculators, peripherals, manuals, books, accessories, pamphlets, etc) on hand-held calculators/computers since 1972.

The interesting thing is that it was never planned, it just happen as my need expanded and nostalgia took hold of me.
Even though my collection is comprehensive, I am a first and foremost a user, I use my stuff daily, for sure not all at the same time but I take care to make a rotation and use at least once a year every HHC that I have in my collection/inventory.
I have also read all the books/manuals that I have, some more than ten times.

I have worked 50h+ (up to 100h) a week for most of my adult life and this hobby is a way for my mind to escape the work related stuff.
This hobby is just the last of a series of hobbies that I have done before, like motorcycling racing, mountain climbing, cavern discovery, etc. ... just less life threatening, although I still do some motorcycling racing every year and having a blast each time. Wink

Sylvain
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hello. My name's Dave, and I'm a Calcoholic. - Sylvain Cote - 01-15-2020 01:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)