48G Re-creation Project (fantasy)
10-31-2019, 08:16 PM
RE: 48G Re-creation Project (fantasy)
(10-31-2019 07:52 PM)EugeneNine Wrote:  You were never "stuck" with Linux anyway. There is always bare metal. But a Pt is still overkill, I'd use a small ARM mcu.

I was thinking of something from Microchip.

I think this device ought to be powered by 3 x AA or 4 x AA, last for years on a set of batteries, and doesn't have to be blazing fast (for that you'd just use a CAS app on your computer or smartphone).

No rechargeable lithium packs. It should stay in the desk drawer to be used many times per day, or once every 3 years, and still works when you pick it up to do a calculation. NiMH won't last 3 years in a drawer. So, only primary batteries. You can put in alkaline AA or Energizer Lithium for even more mileage.

LED or EL backlight e-ink is a bonus, depending on power drain.

No wireless anything except maybe IR (backward compatible so it can communicate with the IR printer, 48/49/50). But no need to bother with RF. Ultimately I envision this to be a solid, durable metal case, sealed for basic dust/water resistance (or at least the keyboard component can be taken out and rinsed in clean water, with the main PCB protected against spills, rain or dust).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 48G Re-creation Project (fantasy) - lemontea - 10-31-2019 08:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)