Linux already on HP Prime G2!
11-21-2020, 05:07 PM
RE: Linux already on HP Prime G2!
(11-20-2020 08:08 AM)OtakuLab Wrote:  
(11-20-2020 02:43 AM)Sukiari Wrote:  I think Tim’s going to find HP in a war with its users, one it can not win, like TI has.

You're damn right, it's actually unbelievable that there are still people in the 21st century who just don't want to see that there are absolutely always ways and means in electronics to switch off or bypass a system. It's exactly the same with online banking, you can add as many security codes and hurdles as you want, but in the end there will never be 100% security.

I don't think it's so much a refusal to acknowledge that security can be bypassed as much as it is a desire to avoid opening a can of worms. I don't work for HP and am indifferent on whether they choose to lock down their hardware in the future. I think the underlying message, though, is that it benefits neither side to breach this unwritten "contract." From HP's side, it's wasting their time that they could be devoting toward improving a product. From the tinker's side -- if their goal is to actually tinker beyond just breaking security -- it's a waste of their time trying to break new security just so they can go back to doing their tinkering. Sure, there will be those who want to break security simply as an academic endeavor, but I don't think that is the majority of the tinkering group. I.e. people try to get around security measures for the purpose of other interests (e.g. custom firmware), and not just for the sake of breaking security.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Linux already on HP Prime G2! - akmon - 07-16-2019, 07:19 AM
RE: Linux already on HP Prime G2! - BruceH - 07-21-2019, 10:52 AM
RE: Linux already on HP Prime G2! - Han - 11-21-2020 05:07 PM
RE: Linux already on HP Prime G2! - aloof - 11-17-2020, 03:23 AM
RE: Linux already on HP Prime G2! - DrD - 07-19-2019, 03:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)