Sad News - greendyk.nl Website Closing Down
12-13-2018, 10:04 PM
RE: Sad News - greendyk.nl Website Closing Down
(12-13-2018 05:13 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  Has anyone asked the owner whether he objects to the site being hosted elsewhere? There is a difference between "not interested, but thank you for the offer" and "I specifically don't want that." I suspect it's the latter but from what I've heard here so far that's not entirely clear.

Assuming he doesn't mind, one could clone the site by simply loading all the pages in a browser one by one, and saving them as "web page, complete," so you get all the images and css and whatnot, and then finally running some scripts to fix all the links so it all works together once more.

That would be tedious, but could be done in a matter of hours. But you'd still be left with a bunch of illegal content. As much as I would enjoy having a complete snapshot of greendyk.nl, I wouldn't risk hosting it on my own site.

I specifically asked him and he quite clearly, though politely, declined and said he did not want the site hosted elsewhere. I tried (a bit) to find out why, but after a few questions, other than acknowledging it was not his IP to share, felt I was intruding into his business which he seemed reluctant to discuss, so I dropped it and accepted his polite replies, with profuse thanks for creating and sharing it.

Hopefully Meindert will fare better than I did...

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sad News - greendyk.nl Website Closing Down - rprosperi - 12-13-2018 10:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)