HP 71B cases and the Black Cloud of Death
10-03-2018, 06:03 PM
RE: HP 71B cases and the Black Cloud of Death
(10-03-2018 05:28 PM)megarat Wrote:  Hey folks, I recently picked up an HP 71B, which is the second one I've owned. The device was shipped in its original case, and when I removed the device, it was covered with a fine soot-like black powder. It didn't seem to cause any harm to the 71B, but the case continues to shed this powder from within, even after shaking and blowing it out. This reminded me that the case of my other 71B had a similar issue, so I dug it out, and sure enough, the interior still sheds small amount of black powder, albeit in a much smaller quantity.

My guess is that the interiors of these cases are disintegrating, and while I plan to blow out their interiors with a shop-vac, I'm wondering if even using these cases is a good idea. Is this a common issue with 71B cases? If so, is there any risk of the particles clogging up the keys/internals? Are there any recommended solutions for alternative cases?

Thanks.

It often occurs also with 41C cases (similar, dimensions aside).
You can machine wash it (I did, with one of my 41 cases), low temp of course. This solves the problem once and for all.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP 71B cases and the Black Cloud of Death - Massimo Gnerucci - 10-03-2018 06:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)