Best way to convert complex numbers, rect, polar, euler
09-21-2018, 07:38 AM
RE: Best way to convert complex numbers, rect, polar, euler
(09-20-2018 11:40 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(09-12-2018 09:20 PM)Anders Wrote:  3i4 =3*4*i =12i so it did not work on my G2 calc.

It does work in RPN mode, as was requested.

You are kind of proving my larger point that the implementation of the complex number formats standard and functions is screwy.
Certain formats and functions/buttons works in some modes and in others not.
This is confusing the user constantly...

1. There is a [∡] button and it works as it should in Home but not in CAS (super frustrating - forcing people to implement their own conversion functions - see various attempts in the http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/forum-15.html ).
2. Some complex number formats work in RPN but not in CAS or textbook (home), e.g. 2i4 is interpreted different.

It short it’s a mess.

An engineer (EE, CE in particular), who needs to constantly move back and forth between polar and cartesian coordinates (and calc/pre calc high school student too for that matter), should be able to expect the calculator to accept the same number formats and operate the same regardless of he/she is using RPN, textbook format (home) or CAS.

Wouldn't it be great if we could standardize across all three, e.g. 4i3, 3∡(pi/2) works everywhere - simple notation that saves key strokes.
You can then do things like (4i3) * (3∡(pi/2)) in Textbook (Home) and CAS
or in RPN:
4i3 <enter>
3∡(pi/2) <enter>
* <enter>
and the expected results
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Best way to convert complex numbers, rect, polar, euler - Anders - 09-21-2018 07:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)