Base Conversion & Logical Operations: Prime vs. 28S/28GX/50g on EASE OF USE
08-17-2018, 11:18 AM
RE: Base Conversion & Logical Operations: Prime vs. 28S/28GX/50g on EASE OF USE
(08-17-2018 09:45 AM)Stevetuc Wrote:  I do agree though that adding softkey support and an app with single press base conversion would be desirable.

I appreciate your vote of support for that, Steve!

(08-17-2018 09:57 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  Actually, the older HP machines were more targeted at engineers than at students. This is one of the reasons why the Prime (and related machines such as the 39gII) is such a radical departure from earlier machines.

When I entered engineering school in 1989, my university (CSU Fresno) had the HP 28S listed in its Bookstore catalog, which is how I learned of it and why I bought it. So even though I was destined to ultimately become an engineer, at the time I bought the calculator, I was still a student. I therefore must assume that HP's shift is to lower level students, in high school versus college. Even so, students and engineers alike can benefit from a tool that is faster, easier and more efficient.

Again, I don't say this to knock the Prime in any way. I say this precisely because I bought two Primes for my kids (both not in college yet). And I am learning the Prime so as to better help them understand it. And since I have a 28S (my main workhorse since 1989) and 48GX and 50g, I take my experience from those calculators and try to accomplish the same tasks with the same speed and ease. And when that is not the case, I create threads like this one in hopes of encouraging enhancements. What we end users can do with simple basic programs is limited, but what HP can do in a full blown app is only limited by their will to do something insanely great! :-)

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. It's much appreciated!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Base Conversion & Logical Operations: Prime vs. 28S/28GX/50g on EASE OF USE - JDW - 08-17-2018 11:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)