Incorrect values with some trigonometric functions
08-04-2018, 10:39 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2018 10:40 AM by Stevetuc.)
RE: Incorrect values with some trigonometric functions
(08-04-2018 09:26 AM)Aries Wrote:  
(08-04-2018 07:28 AM)Stevetuc Wrote:  The small error will still exist in home mode though. It exists in the Casio too but the casio rounds such residual errors in trig functions to 0 to present a clean result. The Prime is more honest. Maybe for educational use, there could be a user flag that toggles this behaviour so that say a trig result below a threshold < 1e-11 say, is displayed as 0.

Y' know, Home = numerical and CAS = symbolic, on any numerical calculator getting a non-zero result (for cos(pi/2)) is an acceptable solution, as PI cannot be represented numerically.
This is where CAS comes into play, as a symbolic solver.
As you said, the Prime is more honest in this respect.
Best,

Aries Wink

Indeed. I was targeting home mode in my comments. Any calc not showing an error here (numeric mode) is truncating or rounding the error. Im happy to see the error, but I can understand the comforting feeling to see cos(pi/2)=0, which is why the casio presents it as such even for a numeric calculation!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Incorrect values with some trigonometric functions - Stevetuc - 08-04-2018 10:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)