HP Prime vs TI-84 Plus CE for Jr. High and High School
07-09-2018, 07:25 AM
RE: HP Prime vs TI-84 Plus CE for Jr. High and High School
"Trendsetter" would be a positive way to put it if my 15-year-old walked into High School with a Prime. But looking at it negatively, it could also spark jealously and envy among her peers.

I did receive a reply from the school though. I was informed their recommendation is only that, and they don't even have a calculator requirement. But of course, because of the recommendation at least some students would have a graphic calculator, and such students would have an advantage over those who do not. They also said that any of the calculators listed on the College Board approved list are acceptable in the school's eyes. No mention was made of CAS, which implies they are not concerned about it. Even if they became concerned about it down the line, the Prime has a test mode that allows it to be disabled, so that shouldn't become a problem, I wouldn't think.

Another interesting thing is the Prime doesn't appear in the calculators section on the HP Japan website. You have to click the magnifier icon and search for it by name. And then if you go to the HP store in Japanese, the Prime isn't listed at all, even though it does appear in the HP USA store. The Prime is way overpriced on Amazon Japan (about $200 a pop), so I'll likely get one through a seller in the US and then have it transshipped to me. Whether I buy just one for my daughter (who is in high school) or two for both my kids (my son is only starting Jr. High) is something I am still mulling.

Anyway, my thanks to everyone who replied and offered advice.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP Prime vs TI-84 Plus CE for Jr. High and High School - JDW - 07-09-2018 07:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)