HP Prime vs TI-84 Plus CE for Jr. High and High School
07-07-2018, 11:58 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2018 12:13 PM by sasa.)
RE: HP Prime vs TI-84 Plus CE for Jr. High and High School
"Strong recommendation" is usually a "politically correct" phrase if someone forces one particular thing from any reason.

If they use old books showing exactly how to solve described problems on particular calculator models, thus forcing specific model is "justified", in order to get exact result without much side learning for students how to accomplish the same on other similarly capable calculator.

I can think as well importance of limited usage of calculator on exams and ability of teachers to deactivate higher functions of different modern calculator models. Even these are "approved" to be used, I doubt all teachers are capable or skilled enough to perform such limitations for all students on many models and may be easier to forbid usage of some models during exam.

If all upper is not a problem, it may just be on your kids choice. Of course, it is far more better if kids ask their teachers of opinion and explanation why exactly one specific model is "strongly recommended" and possibility to use other "approved" models.

I have also read that TI calculators was/are #1 used brand in U.S.A. educational system.

However, without knowing exact reason why they force specific model, it is fairly difficult to bring any rational decision.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP Prime vs TI-84 Plus CE for Jr. High and High School - sasa - 07-07-2018 11:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)