RPL second impressions (HP 28)
07-04-2018, 10:10 PM
RE: RPL second impressions (HP 28)
Hi, Pier:

(07-04-2018 10:22 AM)pier4r Wrote:  Ah understood, so we were looking at different things. I was checking the idea, not the portability. Yes. RPL is not that portable, at least for me.

No, we were looking at the same things, it's only that I introduced yet another issue.

Quote:Said that I continue to use it because, well, I cannot let the 4 50g be idle [...]

On the other hand, I own none but if I did it wouldn't be idle either, it would serve 24/7 as either a doorstop or a paperweight ... :-) ... The one and only RPL machine I own is precisely a new-in-box HP28S because I very much like the form factor and the keyboard. Alas, I've never used it and never will.

Quote:[...] and I want to use the amazing efforts put in this or that library.

That's the decades-long problem I've always resented: people will constantly produce this or that library, or this or that utilities ROM, or this or that utilities LEX files and so on and so forth, which are then published and/or made available for free or nearly so, intended to be used in people's own programs and such. So far so good.

Regrettably, most people either don't use them in actual, non-trivial programs or, if they do, they don't make them publicly available so in the end the community rarely gets full-fledged, useful programs but tons upon tons of routines, libraries, utilities, etc., apparently because people love to write libraries and utilities (it's like solving a puzzle or a challenge) but complex, useful programs not so much.

See for example the HP41 series' PPC ROM. Apart from the demonstration examples in its big manual I've very rarely seen "in print" any real application programs calling its functions as part of the program's code, nor have I ever called them from my 41C programs either.

Quote:Soon I hope to finally start seriously with newRPL instead of doing only micro things with it.

Let's hope you succeed. If not, you can always resort to admiring yet another set of libraries or utilities or even create your own in newRPL, will the fun never end ? ... XD

Best regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RPL second impressions (HP 28) - mdunn - 06-27-2018, 01:19 AM
RE: RPL second impressions (HP 28) - mdunn - 06-27-2018, 01:58 PM
RE: RPL second impressions (HP 28) - mdunn - 06-27-2018, 04:06 PM
RE: RPL second impressions (HP 28) - mdunn - 06-27-2018, 05:11 PM
RE: RPL second impressions (HP 28) - mdunn - 06-27-2018, 07:45 PM
RE: RPL second impressions (HP 28) - mdunn - 06-28-2018, 08:48 PM
RE: RPL second impressions (HP 28) - Valentin Albillo - 07-04-2018 10:10 PM
RE: RPL second impressions (HP 28) - ttw - 07-04-2018, 10:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)