thread repost: Discussion on Parser/UI Options
04-04-2014, 09:06 PM
RE: thread repost: Discussion on Parser/UI Options
(04-04-2014 05:17 AM)Manolo Sobrino Wrote:  1) Go to CAS and define: y:=x

2) Go to HOME and input: y

Then the numerical CLI prints: x

That's very good because it knows that x=y.

No, it doesn't. It only knows that y is defined to be x.

Quote:3) input x

Then you get "Error: Syntax Error". Same error as if you hadn't defined y.

As it should. You only defined y as x. You never defined x as anything, so x is undefined. There is a good reason for this behavior. If you use y:=x, and then later issue the command y:=1, it should ONLY change y. Otherwise, you implicitly create a new variable x whose value is 1 if the system were to somehow assume that y and x are now the same.

Quote:The variable y has been created by the CAS, HOME knows about it, no problem. It knows that whatever is y, its value is x. But it doesn't know what x is!

And it would not unless 1) you've defined x to be some particular value and 2) you've requested the value of x. In the CAS, if you enter y:=x; and then x:=1; and type enter y by itself, it returns 1 because (as any good CAS would) it understands transitivity. In Home, the behavior is always "face-value" -- you only get what you ask for in the sense that if you want the value of y, it tells you that you that y is defined as x. There are instances where BOTH behaviors are useful. For example, if you need to know whether y is a symbolic variable or a numerical variable, having y return only x is useful. In the CAS, TYPE(y) and TYPE(x) would both return 0 if you type y:=x; and x:=1; and the same holds even if you use the CAS-specific lower-case form type(y) and type(x).

Quote:It's strange because at the Vars menu, x and y appear both as CAS variables. I guess Giac creates variables on the fly and the numerical environment doesn't.

Yes, provided that x and y were created/defined in CAS.

Quote:That is not that bad, because now we've learnt that we can move symbolic variables around environments by doing this... Say you want to get an expression with engineering-ugly numerical coefficients in terms of the variable x. Just do it with y. Quirky things happen then that I guess can be worked around with the approx() function. (Why Giac's evalf() and evalc() are not in the CAS menus is a mystery to me.)

You could do this with any variable; perhaps I am misunderstanding something...

Quote:About implied multiplication. Well, many people just expect it because it's nice sharing the conventions of blackboard-written maths with the syntax of the computer program you're using, even when we're just dealing with 1-d expressions. Mathematica does it and there is no ambiguity there. I think it's just a personal choice.

If you do it, you have to be consistent: The Giac interpreter version, that is CAS mode, understands x(1+x), but not (1+x)x. In HOME mode, in terms of the previously CAS-defined y:=x, interesting things happen (emulator) again:

(1+y)y is rendered immediately as: (1+y)*y ____________ (1+x)*x

y(1+y) as... y(1+y) ____________ x(1+x)

(Where are the *'s now??)

I agree with the consistency remark. I disagree that just because project XYZ does it that it is suddenly ok. Mathematica uses non-standard notation for functions. How many textbooks do you see use f[x] ? The typical notation is f(x). Now, what about x(t+1) -- should that be a function of x in terms of a parameter t? Or should we interpret that as a product of two expressions x and t+1 ? This is why there is no * in the second case. There is a reason for wanting explicit notation so that we can avoid instances of ambiguity. No CAS will be able to magically guess when a(b) should be multiplication and not functional notation.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: thread repost: Discussion on Parser/UI Options - Han - 04-04-2014 09:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)