importing excel file to hp prime
12-27-2018, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 12-27-2018 04:51 PM by Ninetrees.)
RE: importing excel file to hp prime
Though I appreciate the efforts that many have gone to producing videos (thanks for those) and forum posts here and there, it seems to me after trying to port a simple spreadsheet from Excel to the Prime is a lesson in beating my head upon the wall.

All my comments apply to the emulator and the conn kit.

My column G in the spreadsheet is labeled "g"....?
Copying and pasting text didn't really work. The text copied, but without the leadIng and trailing quotes, it was not text. I used my editor and regex to add leading and trailing quotes, and pasted those.

Prime accepts formulas, but does not seem to keep them. I pasted formulas, and got the correct results, but when I changed a cell that fed the formula, the results didn't change.

I tried too many times to enter a simple formuLa =C13/G13 but the Prime kept giving me a syntax error.

I'd delete cell contents (emulator), and the deletion looked like it worked, but the data stayed in the cell.

Refreshing in the CK and saving did not consistently actually refresh or save...only sometimes.

If the spreadsheet app really work for a simple real life spreadsheet with text and formulas, then someone who knows what the steps are needs to publish a sample spreadsheet with detailed steps (video OK). Otherwise, this seems like anyone, especially students, will be turned off quickly.

edit 2018-12-27a: I found where the G is reserved for graphics, but even so, just =g13 in a cell gets a syntax error.
I use a spreadsheet often, so maybe I am bringing desktop experience to the Prime, and that is the problem. I read the manual, and it all seems fairly straightforward. I tried pasting In different way into both the emulator and the CK...the emulator often crashed...the CK didn't get the same thing I expected.
I discovered that I was using PI() in my spreadsheet, and I think that caused a problem.
I can't seem to clear a whole spreadsheet in the CK. I cleared it in the emulator and refreshed the CK.
I discovered that the CK would keep cells marked as error, UNTIL I VISITED EACH ONE iN FORMULA ORDER, and that seemed to validate each cell In proper order so that they all then indicated that they were correct.
In the end, it was not worthwhile, because my text all diappeared, and I didn't feel like redoing the whole regex thing.

Attached File(s)
.xls  Shallow Well Chlorination calcs 0201.xls (Size: 25.5 KB / Downloads: 5)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: importing excel file to hp prime - Ninetrees - 12-27-2018 03:59 PM
RE: importing excel file to hp prime - DrD - 01-02-2019, 03:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)